@THE GUSS REPORT-As President Donald Trump confounds supporters, detractors and the detached alike with his latest daily dose of foot-in-mouth syndrome (late last week he allegedly inarticulately pondered why the U.S. has immigrants from “shithole” countries), some brilliant someone came up with a hash tag that offers some agreeable and much-needed comedic relief: #AddShitholeToMovieTitles, which quickly went viral.
With descriptions excerpted from IMDB, some of the funniest are best when read aloud in a movie preview narrator’s voice:
- A prep school student needing money agrees to "babysit" a blind man, but the job is not at all what he anticipated. Al Pacino and Chris O’Donnell star in Scent of a Shithole.
- Two potheads wake up after a night of partying and cannot remember where they parked their car. For your consideration: Dude, Where’s My Shithole?
- After his father's death, a young man has to care for his mentally disabled brother and his morbidly obese mother, which is suddenly challenged when love walks into his life. Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio and Juliette Lewis star in What’s Eating Gilbert’s Shithole?
You might want to first take a shot of penicillin before buying a ticket for that one…
- At the turn of the century in a Welsh mining village, the Morgans raise coal-mining sons and hope their youngest will find a better life. Director John Ford presents Walter Pigeon and Maureen O’Hara in How Green Was My Shithole.
- It’s the story of a forbidden and secretive relationship between two cowboys, and their lives over the years. Jake Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger and Michelle Williamsco-star in Ang Lee’s Brokeback Shithole.
- A young woman falls in love with a man of a different nationality and struggles to get her family to accept him while she comes to terms with her heritage and cultural identity: My Big Fat Greek Shithole…opens Friday.
- Shithole, which won Best Picture in 1976, was followed by way-too-many and uninspired sequels:
And there is a rumor that Shithole Creed 2 is expected later this year.
- Violence and mayhem ensue after a hunter stumbles upon a drug deal gone wrong and more than two million dollars in cash near the Rio Grande. Perhaps it’s for the fiber-challenged, No Shithole for Old Men.
- A determined woman works with a hardened boxing trainer to become a professional. Hillary Swank and Morgan Freeman won Academy Awards, as did Director and Co-Producer Clint Eastwood in Million Dollar Shithole.
- A young wizard finds himself competing in a hazardous tournament between rival schools of magic, but he is distracted by recurring nightmares. It’s Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson in Harry Potter and the Shithole of Fire!
And on and on they went, as did our weekend laughs. Barring some actual evidence of Russian collusion or other zany presidential outcome, this might be our new, best and collective way to (for at least a moment) stop bickering about Trump and persevere through the next few years. After all, It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Shithole…
Got any other good ones? Please share them in the comments section.
(Daniel Guss, MBA, is a member of the Los Angeles Press Club, and has contributed to CityWatch, KFI AM-640, Huffington Post, Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Daily News, Los Angeles Magazine, Movieline Magazine, Emmy Magazine, Los Angeles Business Journal and elsewhere. Follow him on Twitter @TheGussReport. Verifiable tips and story ideas can be sent to him at TheGussReport@gmail.com. His opinions are his own and do not necessarily reflect the views of CityWatch.) Edited for CityWatch by Linda Abrams.