LEANING RIGHT--Four years ago, we saw the spectacle of so-called "elite" college students so distraught by Donald Trump's presidential victory over Hillary Clinton that puppies and cry-ins were brought in to comfort these young "adults", as reported by the Daily Beast.
No expense was too great, and no effort was too over-the-top, to accommodate those pursuing higher education yet did not know that things don't always go your way, as the Wall Street Journal reported.
And although NOBODY likes to lose, in life someone ALWAYS has to lose in a contest. Yet the question of coloring books and play-doh to college students, as reported by PJ Media
(LINK: ), raised the question of whether or not these "adult children" would ever grow up.
To paraphrase the late Vince Lombardi, "show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." But then the squelching of all non-liberal, pro-conservative speech calls into question whether or not college campuses were being BAD losers. Or even fascist losers who joined in a trend of blaming the other side for being fascists when THEY were acting fascist.
Particularly because the new trend of ostracizing those students who had the temerity of voting for Donald Trump (gasp! that's the WRONG opinion!), and the new trend of intimidating and assaulting speakers who (gasp!) were conservative became the "new normal" on college campuses and in public squares.
Extending into the adult world, the "cancel culture" of all major media and Hollywood celebrities continues. And those meltdowns, and the conspiracy theories, and the remarkably one-sided press accumulation of all things anti-Trump, and the screaming and peer pressure to CONFORM to the CORRECT opinions for the past four years?
... all now acceptable.
Anyone even implying the need to be civil to all Americans, whether they supported President Trump or not, were demanded to "explain themselves" and almost certainly face social, legal, and even financial ostracism.
But, again, NOBODY likes to lose, and in life someone ALWAYS has to lose in a contest. But this time, after a painful 2020 election there will be no need to gather puppies, play-doh, and coloring books for those who lost:
1) Because this time, the losers will (despite 70% of them bearing strong suspicions of how much fraud occurred during the vote) just grit their teeth, swallow their bile, and go to work.
2) Because this time, and after a year of watching cherished police--guilty only of risking their lives to keep the peace--get assaulted and labeled as tyrants, and after watching those burning urban centers being praised as "the good guys", the losers will just grit their teeth, swallow their bile, and go to work.
3) Because this time, and after being told again and again and again that there is no such thing as Antifa, and that the violence was NOT coming from the Left (who apparently will benefit from, and not pay the consequences of, their disruption and violence), the losers will just grit their teeth, swallow their bile, and go to work.
4) Because this time, and after being intimidated and silenced from "admitting" they performed the "crime" of voting for Donald Trump for four years, and having to endure screaming from coworkers and family members alike while THEY were accused of Nazi intimidators, the losers will just grit their teeth, swallow their bile, and go to work.
5) Because this time, after watching 3-4 years of Russian and Ukrainian conspiracy theories lead to a distracting and inappropriate impeachment in January and February 2020, and prevent Congress and the nation from joining the President in his world focus on the a new pandemic coming out of China, the losers will just grit their teeth, swallow their bile, and go to work.
6) Because this time, after watching Trump supporters even now get assaulted, merely for using the same right to free speech that Hillary Clinton's supporters appropriately used four years ago, the losers will grit their teeth, swallow their bile, and go to work.
7) Because this time, after seeing media minimalization and censorship of the Trump Administration overseeing a Record-low-unemployment-Prison-reform-bill-Record-low-black/Latino-poverty-Vocational-career-support-Energy-independence-and-export-Improving/ending-international-agreements-harming-the-U.S.-Farmer-support-Mideast-Peace-Destroying ISIS-and-Reducing-Iranian-Terrorism-Standing-up-to-China-and-Bringing-Jobs-Back-to-the-U.S. ...and being told it never really happened or meant anything, the losers will grit their teeth, swallow their bile, and go to work.
There will be no need for service puppies, play-doh, or coloring books this time, because the adults who all focused on that Record-low-unemployment-Prison-reform-bill-Record-low-black/Latino-poverty-Vocational-career-support-Energy-independence-and-export-Improving/ending-international-agreements-harming-the-U.S.-Farmer-support-Mideast-Peace-Destroying ISIS-and-Reducing-Iranian-Terrorism-Standing-up-to-China-and-Bringing-Jobs-Back-to-the-U.S. ...just don't have any time or need for that childish coddling, or any time or need to have Hollywood and major media figures console them.ole themselves after enduring four years of abuse and one gaslighting effort after another, that only a pandemic NO ONE could have fixed except for an Operation Warp Speed to create vaccines could bring the President down, and elevate a man who hid in his basement and offered NO ideas this year into the highest office in the land.
But your doctor, your lawyer, your accountant, your nurse, your shop owner, your employer, and your neighbors will just wonder how upside down this nation has become, and how style has become enormously prioritized over substance.
And your 70 million fellow American neighbors, who've gone through hell simply because they supported the boorish/brash non-politician elected as an alternative to the same-old, same-old, will wonder why the Record-low-unemployment-Prison-reform-bill-Record-low-black/Latino-poverty-Vocational-career-support-Energy-independence-and-export-Improving/ending-international-agreements-harming-the-U.S.-Farmer-support-Mideast-Peace-Destroying ISIS-and-Reducing-Iranian-Terrorism-Standing-up-to-China-and-Bringing-Jobs-Back-to-the-U.S ...was thoroughly ignored ...
... and observe a conglomerate of unelected officials and major media outlets get bought out and then unite to take advantage of a pandemic, and take advantage and be grateful for a loss of jobs and livelihoods, that made this outgoing President formerly popular lose his own job while he was fighting like hell to have all Americans keep and/or return to their jobs.
But those 70 million Americans will ignore all the claims that the economy going up, just as it was sky-high before the pandemic, was because Joe Biden (absent this entire year) did it. And they will ignore all the credit that Joe Biden will claim for the vaccines taken during the winter/spring of 2020/2021.
Because that's what adults do when they lose an election--even one under these rather cruel circumstances--by virtue of them valuing results over style, and therefore having their own results to focus on. They might be terribly taken for granted, but need no puppies, play-doh, or coloring books in their results-focused lifestyle.
Because adults, even if or when they get kicked in the teeth, choose to "adult up" and go to work.e adults to acknowledge that they or the one they duly elected into office in 2016 were treated in any way, shape, or form in a fair manner that befits a free and educated society...because they didn't deserve, nor do they now deserve, that inexcusable abuse.
(CityWatch Columnist, Kenneth S. Alpern, M.D, is a dermatologist who has served in clinics in Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside Counties, and is a proud husband and father to two cherished children and a wonderful wife. He was termed out of the Mar Vista Community Council (MVCC) twice after two stints as a Board member for 8-9 years and is also a Board member of the Westside Village Homeowners Association. He previously co-chaired the MVCC Outreach, Planning, and Transportation/Infrastructure Committees. He was previously co-chair of the CD11 Transportation Advisory Committee, the grassroots Friends of the Green Line (which focused on a Green Line/LAX connection), and the nonprofit Transit Coalition, and can be reached at Ken.Alpern@MarVista.org. The views expressed in this article are solely those of Dr. Alpern.)
Tags: Kenneth Alpern, Trump, Clinton,