CicLAvia – South LA along Western Ave
CicLAvia-South LA presented by Metro
On Sunday, July 10, from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. CicLAvia will open 3-miles of streets in South LA along Western Ave. between Exposition Blvd and Florence Ave, connecting the neighborhoods of Vermont Square, Harvard Park, Chesterfield Square, Exposition Park, and King Estates. For all ages and abilities, the public is invited to bike, skate, run, walk, skateboard, scooter, spectate, and enjoy the route however they want. CicLAvia is a free, open event – show up anywhere along the route at any time and have fun! Participants are encouraged to take the E (Expo) line to the Western Station.
This Western Ave corridor was chosen by CicLAvia to highlight a new initiative led by City Councilmember Marqueece Harris-Dawson, StreetsLA, and LADOT which aims to bring new safety enhancements (pending safety improvements) to sections of Western Ave in South Los Angeles which has long been plagued by traffic collisions.
CicLAvia turns public streets into public parks for a day, where joy meets purpose, restoring comfort to the community and reminds us of the value of public spaces for all. CicLAvia reinforces what matters most to us – connection with each other and with our communities. Whether one bikes, walks, strolls, skates, or jogs, we create more incredible moments and experiences enjoying our city streets together. Inspired by Bogotá’s weekly ciclovía, CicLAvia temporarily closes streets to car traffic and opens them to Angelenos to use as a public park.
Only people-powered vehicles allowed. No electric scooters, skateboards, hoverboards, unicycles, motorcycles and other non-people-powered vehicles allowed at CicLAvia. Class 1 e-bike pedal-assist allowed. Class 2 e-bikes allowed when throttle is powered off. Class 3 e-bikes allowed when pedal-assist is powered off. Motorized wheelchairs are allowed. Learn more here.
Participants assume all known and unknown risks of participation in CicLAvia. More information regarding participants rights can be found here: https://www.ciclavia.org/south_la22
Free for all, CicLAvia connects communities to each other across an expansive city, creating a safe place to bike, walk, skate, roll, and dance through Los Angeles County. CicLAvia is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that catalyzes vibrant public spaces, active transportation, and good health through car-free streets. CicLAvia engages with people to transform our relationship with our communities and with each other.
WHERE & WHEN:
• Press Kick-off Event for CicLAvia-South LA along Western Ave; Sunday, July 10, 2022; 8:30 a.m.-9:00 a.m. – 3774 S Western Ave, LA 90018
• CicLAvia-South LA along Western Ave; Sunday, July 10, 2022; 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. – The 3-mile open streets route connects the neighborhoods of Vermont Square, Harvard Park, Chesterfield Square, Exposition Park, and King Estates, between Exposition Blvd. and Florence Avenue.
HOW & MORE INFORMATION:
• Visit https://www.ciclavia.org/south_la22 for more detailed information
• https://www.ciclavia.org/; [email protected]; 213-355-8500
• Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ciclavia
• YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/CicLAviaLA